Friday, May 16, 2008
Providence's Irish Famine Memorial
I finally stopped by the Irish Famine Memorial near the river in downtown Providence and took a few photos.
There's a large bronze triptych with ten panels of text at its base, which sits at one end of a mall, oblong garden. At its far end is a statue with three figures: a man stares out toward the Bay while on the reverse, a woman holds a collapsing man.

There's a large bronze triptych with ten panels of text at its base, which sits at one end of a mall, oblong garden. At its far end is a statue with three figures: a man stares out toward the Bay while on the reverse, a woman holds a collapsing man.
The center of the triptych:
When I have time, I will type up the text of the ten panels and post it: I had no idea there was so much Irish immigrant history in Rhode Island (which always struck me as a state with history dominated by French, italians, and Portuguese).