Tuesday, May 02, 2006
The Sweetheart Dance
Last Friday was the Sweetheart dance at the local grade school. All the K-5 girls got to bring their dad/uncle/grandpa/whatever to the local middle school's gym for dancing and snacks and...hula hoops.
Here's me and my big girl before the dance:

(Note the corsage!)

It was too nice outside to take the picture in front of the fireplace, which I remember is the "official" site for taking dance pictures.
She and her pal were dressed in complementary dresses, waay too cute. (I'll post that picture later.)
The dance floor was rigned with dads in blazers and suits, for the most part watching quietly with their arms crossed. A few of us actually had a good time: I chatted with a group of other First Grade Dads and we had a ball. On the way out, we snagged two of the big balloon boquets and stuck them into the car -- you know, they were just going to throw thm away. [Apparently not: at the next day's birthday party, one of the guest's moms told me they had been intended for a dance recital that morning. Whooops!]
There were just two or three songs for slow dancing (as opposed to the Limbo, "Hot Hot Hot," etc.), during which the first graders pushed away their dads and danced in a circle. During "Daddy's Little Girl" I got the Heisman Shove: ouch.
About 75 minutes were taken up by a hula-hooping contest. The youngest child of local guy with five (!!!!!) daughters snuck into the kindergarteners -- she's only 3 or 4 -- and beat most of them. She was about two feet tall, just a wisp of a thing. The hula-hooping was very competitive, and I think the DJ gave the winner ten bucks.
We got home at 9:00 PM, too pooped to party. It was grand.
Here's me and my big girl before the dance:

(Note the corsage!)

It was too nice outside to take the picture in front of the fireplace, which I remember is the "official" site for taking dance pictures.
She and her pal were dressed in complementary dresses, waay too cute. (I'll post that picture later.)
The dance floor was rigned with dads in blazers and suits, for the most part watching quietly with their arms crossed. A few of us actually had a good time: I chatted with a group of other First Grade Dads and we had a ball. On the way out, we snagged two of the big balloon boquets and stuck them into the car -- you know, they were just going to throw thm away. [Apparently not: at the next day's birthday party, one of the guest's moms told me they had been intended for a dance recital that morning. Whooops!]
There were just two or three songs for slow dancing (as opposed to the Limbo, "Hot Hot Hot," etc.), during which the first graders pushed away their dads and danced in a circle. During "Daddy's Little Girl" I got the Heisman Shove: ouch.
About 75 minutes were taken up by a hula-hooping contest. The youngest child of local guy with five (!!!!!) daughters snuck into the kindergarteners -- she's only 3 or 4 -- and beat most of them. She was about two feet tall, just a wisp of a thing. The hula-hooping was very competitive, and I think the DJ gave the winner ten bucks.
We got home at 9:00 PM, too pooped to party. It was grand.