Friday, September 02, 2005
First date: we meet the landscaper
I had a (very nice) guy come over and look at my yard to give me an estimate for, you know, repairing what I've done to it. He was very polite and friendly, and let me know that he owns professional tools I will never have -- also, he has guys to do the work for him -- where I have two hands, two wheels-barrows, and no experience. He wins.
Actually, he reminded me of my uncles a lot: easy-going, open, friendly. Or he's a consummate liar, but we'll see.
He suggested that he could level out the yard with less dirt than I would need (seeing as how I don't own a Bobcat), in less time (since I have to work alone, or watch the kids while my Devoted Wife works), and, well, with a higher chance of success (since I really don't know what I'm doing). The most telling sign was when I referred to myself as "an idiot with a shovel" and he just silently let it pass. (Ouch.)
Here's hoping I can scrape up the ready cash for this.